[linux-dvb] Re: bttv and DVB cards hardware incompaibility only in late linux

* Justin Cormack <justin@street-vision.com> [021015 14:44]:

>> Briefly: on this PC I use a Hauppauge DVB card - a Siemens clone,
>> revision 1.3 -, an Adaptec 2940U2W, a SBLive! and a 3C905C network card.
>> All that works like a charm.
>> I also used to have a bttv card there, but I got many problems trying to
>> use it on that crowded PCI. I know that a few months ago it had worked,
>> and it also did on Windows (does now? I don't have a copy installed
>> anymore) on Windows.
>>
>> I get lot's a IRQ sync errors in the syslog, and can't get any image from
>> the bttv card.

>Unfortunately this sounds like typical bttv problems. It is why I gave up
>using them quite some time back. As far as I can work out their irq handlinng
>is fundamentally broken. For example if you put two cards in one machine
>they may work sometimes, sometimes not. 3 cards never worked for me. It
>seems to be a timing issue and there doesnt seem to be a fix for it.

You are probably right. What I cannot understand, though, is why
whithout the DVB card plugged in _any_ PCI slot - yes, I tried every
possible cobination -, the bttv cards works just fine, and just by
pluggin the dvb, it does not only stop working, but it is not even
correctly recognized by the kernel. That's without any driver loaded.

Now that I think of it, it might be a BIOS problem. If in the past it
worked, the only thing I have changed along this time which I did not go
back to, is the BIOS.

I'll try going back a few version and see what happens.

--
Javier Marcet <jmarcet@pobox.com>
Saint Louis University, Madrid Campus