[linux-dvb] Re: dvb/cvs: _SFBUF must be called? doh!

Michael Hunold schrieb:
Hello Guido,

As of late, however, I learned that linux >= 2.4.19 has
a V4L2 layer and all calls to V4L1 are mapped to the
new api.

That is not true. A vanilla >= 2.4.19 kernel only has the Video4Linux-1 interface build in.

There are, however, patches available from Gerd Knorr, to get his bttv 0.9.x v4l2 driver to work under 2.4. Build instructions are here:
http://bytesex.org/v4l/build.html

You can either patch your kernel to have the same infrastructure as 2.5 or you can build the V4L2 videodev.o module outside the kernel (like the "build-2.4" stuff does)
yepp, I did just check the various docs - so I was confused by the
v4l2 docs: they say you need a kernel >= 2.4.19, and for each of
these kernel they have a patchset available which will implant a
v4l2 layer and support both v4l1 and v4l2 drivers.

What do you think, should it be possible to
compile dvb-kernel drivers for linux >= 2.4.19 _without_
replacing some of the original modules?

Short answer: without modifications, no. Vanilla 2.4 kernels don't work with "dvb-kernel".

But the following should be possible: install bttv 0.9.x with all v4l2 stuff, then compile dvb-kernel and only install the driver files, not the video4linux-2 stuff. It should be possible to run both bttv and dvb at the same time, using Video4Linux-2 -- although I haven't tried it.

It seems that the mdk 9.1 kernel has been patched up with the v4l2
compat layer coming from v4l2 HQ.

ls patches/* | grep v4l2
patches/DV01-2_v4l2-api-2.4.20-rc1.patch

ls patches/* | grep bttv
patches/DV02_bttv-0.7.x.patch

/me guesses that other recent distros have done likewise, now all we
need is a list of those. If its long enough then it might be possible
to just leave the old driver chain to rust in peace and to ask any
user to get a recent kernel for his setup (i.e. packed as rpm or likes).
Still that's uncertain...

At least I'm anticipating 2.6. But I fear that some applications will break because the compatibilty layer does not translate "correctly", ie. in the sense of the old bttv Video4Linux-1 driver, but that's another story...

... since one can not be sure that compatibility is to the best. *sigh*

thanks for your answer, cheers,
-- guido                                  http://google.de/search?q=guidod
GCS/E/S/P C++/++++$ ULHS L++w- N++@ d(+-) s+a- r+@>+++ y++ 5++X- (geekcode)