[linux-dvb] Re: dvb/cvs: _SFBUF must be called? doh!

Hello Guido,

yepp, I did not try that simply for it seems to depend
on overriding/replacing a few modules in the 2.4 kernel
and it happens that I do have a bttv card as well.
If you use the "build-2.4" dir of the "dvb-kernel" CVS driver then the main Video4Linux-1 module "videodev.o" gets replaced by its Video4Linux-2 counterpart, which was backported from 2.5.

The device registering interface has been changed, so any old 2.4 Video4Linux-1 drivers (ie. ov511 for USB webcams or the 2.4 bttv driver) will *not* work any more. You can load the drivers, but the kernel will oops on the first open.

For bttv users, however, there is hope for using dvb-kernel and bttv 0.9.x at the same time. (see below)

As of late, however, I learned that linux >= 2.4.19 has
a V4L2 layer and all calls to V4L1 are mapped to the
new api.
That is not true. A vanilla >= 2.4.19 kernel only has the Video4Linux-1 interface build in.

There are, however, patches available from Gerd Knorr, to get his bttv 0.9.x v4l2 driver to work under 2.4. Build instructions are here:
http://bytesex.org/v4l/build.html

You can either patch your kernel to have the same infrastructure as 2.5 or you can build the V4L2 videodev.o module outside the kernel (like the "build-2.4" stuff does)

What do you think, should it be possible to
compile dvb-kernel drivers for linux >= 2.4.19 _without_
replacing some of the original modules?
Short answer: without modifications, no. Vanilla 2.4 kernels don't work with "dvb-kernel".

But the following should be possible: install bttv 0.9.x with all v4l2 stuff, then compile dvb-kernel and only install the driver files, not the video4linux-2 stuff. It should be possible to run both bttv and dvb at the same time, using Video4Linux-2 -- although I haven't tried it.

cheers,
-- guido                                  http://google.de/search?q=guidod
I admit that this is currently very unsatisfying, but I'm glad that Video4Linux-2 has made it into the kernel finally.

At least I'm anticipating 2.6. But I fear that some applications will break because the compatibilty layer does not translate "correctly", ie. in the sense of the old bttv Video4Linux-1 driver, but that's another story...

CU
Michael.