[linux-dvb] Re: dvb-kernel and 2.5.71?

Hello Gregoire,

I have reported it a lots of time, and you were the one who fix the bug
in the dvb-kernel, remember?
It wasn't Holger, it was me. 8-)

Just have a look at what I posted Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:14:54 +0200 with
subeject "Why DVB HEAD and dvb-kernel: bug in each one..."

I reput a copy pf the main body here (as nothing have changed since):

since a lots of time there is a really annoying bug in the DVB driver:
on some channels, if you divide the pictures in columns, let's say 720,
you got instead of 1 2 3 ... 720 the following order:
716 717 718 719 720 `nothing` 1 2 3 ... 714 715 720
I can confirm this with DVB, the picture is slightly "shifted" on some channels. It reproducible with the channles you posted.

with the TV ouptut (at least with my projector) I don't see that bug,
but with xawtv yes, and also with mplayer with X11 output.
It's probably an saa7146 programming issue, that I wiped out when I ported the av7110 to the new saa7146 core. It shouldn't be hard to fix the DVB driver once you find out what the real cause is.

But my main focus is dvb-kernel, we should fix all your remaining problems there.

With the dvb-kernel, that bug is solved from a long time, but there is
another quiete annoying: one can't switch betweem PAL and NTSC with
xawtv...
Well, you can switch, but apparently some stuff got lost inside the saa7146 code that made it actually work. Unfortunately, I don't have a NTSC DVD here (yet), so I can't test it at the moment.

If somebody can give some NTSC material to play with, I can fix it probably.

Also, with dvb-kernel, if I open an xawtv with xv, I can't resize the
window later...
Hm, I thought you solved that problem. Ok: when you use "overlay", you can have a picture size of 768x576 max. If you switch to "grabdisplay" and use "xv", then you should be able to scale to arbitrary sizes.

Does this work?

and without xv, I got oops if I try the fullscreen mode.
(just for info: same result with 2.4 and 2.5 kernels here...)
What part oopes exactly? If you have the time, please try again and capture the oops, pipe it through ksymoops and sent it to me.

(with xv, I can resize to larger screen, but not to smaller one).
I don't understand that, sorry.

Is it a good idea to have separate DVB HEAD and dvb-kernel?
Wouldn't it be better to solve and improve just one source?
DVB and dvb-kernel are keep identially -- all patches that make it to the av7110 driver, the frontends, the dvb-core are applied to both trees. Only the driver modularization (av7110, budget, budget-av) and the saa7146 driver core have been changed.

CU
Michael.