[linux-dvb] Re: Howto setup a multicast network connection?

Holger Kiehl wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Holger Waechtler wrote:

Holger Kiehl wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Holger Waechtler wrote:

Holger Kiehl wrote:

If I poweroff the machine and start it again I no longer get this error.
With a soft reboot I always get 'No such device' error. Someone else
also reported the same behaviour.
good, please let us know when you can find out more what register setting exactly causes this problem.

I will need some help here since the three drivers just differ to much.

In the meantime I have also tried the driver from the KNC1, which is
is a branch from the linuxtv driver and they call it DVB-ANDI. This does
not have the problem with soft reboots and I do manage to receive some
multicast packages, but I loose a lot. This time there are lots of
the following messages in /var/log/messages:
Can you please analyze the register settings of this driver a bit more in detail if this one is working reliably?

Attached you will find the register settings for all three drivers,
DVB-ANDI, Metzler and linuxtv. Please give me some hints which registers
I should change or focus on. What I already tried before I put in the
printk() messages, to set init_tab of the linuxtv the same as DVB-ANDI,
but there was no change.
(well, that's exactly the challenge: find out which setting exactly causes the problem - ;)

Hmm, I'd start searching at the PLL bytes (the 4- or 5-byte-string written in pll_write() or tuner.c or whereever - ), the tuner/syntesizer is usually pretty sensitive for misconfiguration.

Maybe that's exactly the problem: your log shows
stv0299.c: setup for tuner BSRU6, TDQB-S00x
DVB: registering frontend 0:0 (STV0299/TSA5059/SL1935 based)...

but probe_tuner() should dump something like
stv0299.c: setup for tuner SU1278/SH
DVB: registering frontend 0:0 (STV0299/TSA5059/SL1935 based)...

for the KNC-1 (you have a SU1278SH soldered on your board, right?).

Correct.

Maybe just the probing code is broken -- you can test this by hardcoding the return value of probe_tuner() to PHILIPS_SU1278SH. If so we'll probably have to check the name string to detect the tuner.

It's now hardcoded, but szap does not get a lock and kdvb is eating a lot
of cpu time. Between, i2c->xfer() returns a -121.
well, if the probing code assumed a BSRU6 it might be that the PLL in your tuner has i2c adress 0x60. In this case you have to write the PLL byte string to i2c adress 0x60 instead of 0x61 like it's done in case of a BSRU6 (but with the content for the SU1278SH). Have you opened your tuner module and checked what PLL is actually used? Is the tuner module a SU1278SH or a plain SU1278? In the latter case you'll maybe have to use the path for the tua6100, don't know...

please check what module is exactly soldered on your board and which chips are inside. And try if you can talk to the PLL through i2c adress 0x60 or 0x61.

Holger