[linux-dvb] Re: Avermedia DVB-T oops

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 10:52:07AM +1000, Wayne Parrott wrote:
> Although that seems like a good change it didn't fix the problem.
> I have tried calling printk to see the data in sp887x_firm and the oops
> happens on the printk line so I am sure it has something to do with
> that variable.
> BTW shouldn't the BUFSIZE problem be causing a seg fault for everyone
> else? or is kernel mode unprotected or something?

The declaration for integer i on the stack following probably
has something to do with it.

I notice that sp887x_initial_setup called from an ioctl init,
yet the declaration for sp887x_firm is __devinit in sp887x_firm.h.

Either the __devinit has to be removed, or firmware uploaded inside
another compatible function when the module is loaded.

Hmm, this module is also marked GPL, with the firmware embedded
as data ....

As to why no-one else has seen this:

At the moment, DVB in Linux presents considerable challenges
for an ordinary user. The whole szap/tzap / scan thing needs
to be reworked.

What I have in mind is a library that can do pretty much what
scan / zap does. That library can then be used by GUI's,
command line tools, scripting languages, dialog style tools etc.
Or does such a beast exist and I've missed it?

Jamie