[linux-dvb] Re: channels.conf syntax?

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> >
> > I would like to hear some opinions if that goal is worthwile
> > or if we should stop right here.

Still unanswered.

> > VDR currrently does not have the concept of favorites lists, and thus
> > the sort order of the channels.conf is important.
>
> The next version will ;-)

Good.

> > Thus automatic
> > update of channels.conf by a scan tool is problematic, and you
> > cannot have a hierarchical format (well, one could put TP info
> > separately and reference the TP from the service info).
>
> I don't see the need to separate this. The way I want to do this is
> that you can always tell VDR about a (new) transponder and it will simply
> scan all the channels broadcast on it.

You refuse to look beyond VDR's immediate needs. Which isn't bad,
it's what I would expect from the VDR maintainer ;-)

> > Looks like you're on the right track. Still: Do you want to do
> > it yourself or would you use a library created by someone else
> > which does it and could also be used by other DVB software?
>
> I prefer to stay with the simple format currently in use by VDR.
> But that, of course, shouldn't keep you from implementing your
> ideas. I just like the simple format VDR is currently using and
> intend to keep on using it. There will, of course, be favourite
> channel lists in teh next VDR version, also based on the simple
> "colon separated", "line based" format. Note that the very same
> format is used by SVDRP to list, create and modify channels, so
> why use two different formats?

Right, having the same format everywhere is exactly what this
thread is all about. BTW, if VDR does everything others need
someone could provide a library so other programs could share
VDR's config. But that's useless if a) VDR's config doesn't
meet the requirements, b) you make further modifications and
become incompatible. Ideally VDR would use the same library
as all the others. But like they say, variety is the spice of life...

BTW, because there was no library for a standard format
mplayer, xine, vlc etc. have just taken code from the DVB
sample programs (?zap), and the result is a mess. That's why
I think it is necessary to do something.

Johannes