[linux-dvb] Re: FF cards alter PTS'?

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
Holger Waechtler wrote:

Oliver Endriss wrote:

On Thursday 20 November 2003 15:59, Robert Schlabbach wrote:

From: "Klaus Schmidinger" <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de>

Robert Schlabbach wrote:

AFAIK, the specs for the TT designs have never been published either,
and the drivers you have now are the result of guessing and reverse
engineering. I don't see why this shouldn't be repeated for more
up-to-date designs than the old TT ones...
True - but soembody actually has to _do_ this ;-)
Apparently the interest in this isn't high enough, yet...
Maybe the incentives just aren't high enough - why bother reverse
engineering a design that's technically no improvement over the TT ones?
Now if there was a card that was actually a technical advance (e.g. a
DVB-S2 card, or a hybrid DVB-C/T card, or a card with a better suited PCI
bridge with a deep FIFO, or a card with a much quicker sync'ing
demodulator), I'm sure someone would get into reverse engineering it...

Exactly, that's the point.

IIRC some recent budget cards also require closed-source firmware,
which has to be taken from the windows driver.
This is a step in the wrong direction.
Get real. These cards are again Technotrend cards. Or do you know
another design which is using the TDA10045 demod?

There is no advantage except that these cards are really cheap.
?!? sorry, I don't understand you. They do their job and are cheap,
isn't this advantage enough?

You accept silently all the limitations of the av711x: a OSD that is far
from what you expect for a modern STB (the OSD is not even able to
display 8bit DVB subtitles correctly), no way to pass a high-bandwidth
stream to the host and process it there, no way to decode HDTV or even
MPEG4 sources. Their cheap alternatives provide you all this,

What?? They have a better OSD? I thought they don't have an OSD at all
(let a lone a TV out)?!
When you take the framebuffer of your graphics card you get the freedom to draw anything you want into your OSD, you got rid of all limitations.

Holger, please realize that we are talking about FULL FEATURED cards here!
like mentioned before: Full Featured cards an anachronism, I hope no company will be so foolish to produce such a beast again for the mass market.

Do you remember why dinosaurs died? They expected their environment to adopt and were not willing to change their mind. Hope that VDR won't share their destiny. The DVB hardware environment has changed - be happy about it: things became cheaper, better and more robust.

Holger