[linux-dvb] Re: Small STV299 cleanup

Hello Christian,

Christian Gmeiner wrote:
> If you dont change anything at the dvb-core then you can do everything. I
> have with
> the sysfs patch a little problem, but Greg KH - maintainer of udev/sysfs -
> is helping
> me out at the moment. So if he is fast enough, i could release it in the
> next few days.
> Oh and i looks from the structure (entries in /dev) like devfs.
> With the patch i am introducing an abstract way to handle different
> filesystem types
> like devfs, sysfs and procfs.
> At the moment devfs and procfs are working very superb... sysfs will follow
> :)

In case you haven't noticed it from my previous postings on the subject,
I am not too thrilled about your approach of adding another layer to the
DVB device registration stuff. I think this is unnecessary.

What I would like to have is a patch that concentrates on adding
support for the new device model to the DVB driver core, as detailed in
http://lwn.net/Articles/driver-porting/, without doing anything else.

It should include the necessary restructuring to support the
kobject life cycle rules (via release callbacks), and whatever
is needed for udev and power management.

It would be great if you would share the implementation issues
which you discuss with Greg KH with us, and possible post
parts of your work for discussion here. It is very welcome
that you invest your time to work on this, but you need to
make sure that your goals are in line with that of the other
driver authors/maintainers.

Thanks,
Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index