[linux-dvb] Re: [ xine ] DEC 2000-t / 3000s Hangs up - Why?

Hi all,

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 01:21:25 +0100
Alex Woods <linux-dvb@giblets.org> wrote:

> > I played a bit around and after a couple of channel
> > switchen xine freezes. I must deconnect my dec 2000-t
> > box and shutdown. After i reconnect the box everything
> > works fine...but after channel switching the same  :-/
>
> This is an issue with USB timeouts, I assume?  You're
> seeing messages like 'usb 3-1: bulk timeout on ep4in' in
> your kernel logs?
> [...]
> I can only assume there is some hardware difference that
> brings about the issues with timeouts.  The device should
> really be put on a USB port by itself rather than on a hub
> with other devices, although I've seen no issues either
> way.  My USB controller is a VIA UHCI one, and the DEC is
> a year old English one.  It might be useful for everyone
> having issues to post their setups so that some
> commonality can be found.  Known good configurations would
> be useful too.

I do not have a "known-good" configuration, but here are the
specs for my "known-bad" one:

The USB chip used is on a 2-Euro-expansion card. lspci -v
has this to say about it:

00:04.0 USB Controller: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Subsystem: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] USB 1.1 Controller
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 9
        Memory at efffc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

[the same, different ids, 2 more times]

00:04.3 USB Controller: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] USB 2.0 Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
        Subsystem: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] USB 2.0 Controller
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
        Memory at efffff00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Capabilities: [58] #0a [2090]

The German DEC 2000-t I own is the only device attached to
the expansion card. I see the same error messages as everyone else:

usb 4-1: bulk timeout on ep4in
ttusb_dec_send_command: result bulk message failed: error -110

Symptoms are (switching with tzap -r):

- I have to run tzap twice to have the device actually
switch.
- After a number of switches, the device will switch to some
channel other than the requested one, and is afterwards unusable.

I am using firmware 2.15a and kernel 2.6.1. The system is built
around an FIC SD-11 motherboard with AMD Irongate chipset and
a classic Athlon 700.

I'm wary of offering to help with the actual programming as my
last venture into the kernel sources did not go too well, but I'll
try again if the need arises.

Cheers,

--
Roland Gersch