[linux-dvb] Re: [ xine ] DEC 2000-t / 3000s Hangs up - Why?

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 09:14:15AM +0200, Roland Gersch wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 01:21:25 +0100
> Alex Woods <linux-dvb@giblets.org> wrote:
>
> > > I played a bit around and after a couple of channel
> > > switchen xine freezes. I must deconnect my dec 2000-t
> > > box and shutdown. After i reconnect the box everything
> > > works fine...but after channel switching the same  :-/
> >
> > This is an issue with USB timeouts, I assume?  You're
> > seeing messages like 'usb 3-1: bulk timeout on ep4in' in
> > your kernel logs?
> > [...]
> > I can only assume there is some hardware difference that
> > brings about the issues with timeouts.  The device should
> > really be put on a USB port by itself rather than on a hub
> > with other devices, although I've seen no issues either
> > way.  My USB controller is a VIA UHCI one, and the DEC is
> > a year old English one.  It might be useful for everyone
> > having issues to post their setups so that some
> > commonality can be found.  Known good configurations would
> > be useful too.
>
> I do not have a "known-good" configuration, but here are the
> specs for my "known-bad" one:
>
> The USB chip used is on a 2-Euro-expansion card. lspci -v
> has this to say about it:
>
> 00:04.0 USB Controller: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
>         Subsystem: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] USB 1.1 Controller
>         Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 9
>         Memory at efffc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
>         Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
>
> [the same, different ids, 2 more times]
>
> 00:04.3 USB Controller: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] USB 2.0 Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
>         Subsystem: Acer Laboratories Inc. [ALi] USB 2.0 Controller
>         Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
>         Memory at efffff00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
>         Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
>         Capabilities: [58] #0a [2090]
>
> The German DEC 2000-t I own is the only device attached to
> the expansion card. I see the same error messages as everyone else:
>
> usb 4-1: bulk timeout on ep4in
> ttusb_dec_send_command: result bulk message failed: error -110
>
> Symptoms are (switching with tzap -r):
>
> - I have to run tzap twice to have the device actually
> switch.
> - After a number of switches, the device will switch to some
> channel other than the requested one, and is afterwards unusable.
>
> I am using firmware 2.15a and kernel 2.6.1. The system is built
> around an FIC SD-11 motherboard with AMD Irongate chipset and
> a classic Athlon 700.

If you are using the drivers as provided with the kernel, you might like to try
a newer kernel, since a few issues have been fixed since then (including the
tzap twice one I think).  I've found the 2.16 and above firmwares to be more
reliable than the 2.15a one also.

Thanks for your information,
Alex

Home | Main Index | Thread Index