[linux-dvb] Re: saa7146 and teletext (vbi)

I absolutely understand that there is no vbi information muxed into the
video PID or whatever.

I think that the vbi information is on a separate Teletext-PID. I think that
dvbtext is already an application which accesses this information. But it
would be nice to have it redirected into a vbi device (like /dev/vbi0), so
common (analog) Teletext applications could access it.

The reason is, that I would like to run Nextview EPG:
http://nxtvepg.sourceforge.net/intro.html

From the description:
"...,if you have an internal SAT TV card, a Linux driver which supports the
video4linux VBI API (i.e. if other VBI applications like alevt work too.)"

You might have discovered that RTL World (RTL, RTL2, VOX, Super RTL) doesn't
provide much EPG data on their channel. In fact you only get the name of the
actual running movie. With Nextview, you could access the teletext
information on "Kabel 1", which seems to contain a complete electronic TV
programme guide also covering RTL Worlds stations. Furthermore, Nextview can
export the received information into the xmltv format.

That would be a very reliable (and legal!) way to obtain an electronic TV
programme guide.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index