[linux-dvb] Re: Many frontend and demux DVB devices in Linux DVB

Lukasz Michal Rak wrote:

> this moment). I loaded following modules:
>  $ modprobe bttv i2c_hw=1 card=0x71
>  $ modprobe dvb-bt8xx
>  $ modprobe dst
> and created following devices:
>  /dev/dvb/adapter0/video0     (250,0)
>  /dev/dvb/adapter0/audio0     (250,1)
>  /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0  (250,3)
>  /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0     (250,4)
>  /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0       (250,5)
>  /dev/dvb/adapter0/ca0        (250,6)
>  /dev/dvb/adapter0/net0       (250,7)
>  /dev/dvb/adapter0/osd0       (250,8)

If you'd use devfs you would get only those devices which
are actually supported by your hardware. AFAIK the Twinhan
card has no hardware MPEG decoder, and no OSD.

> and also devices for frontend1 (250,12) and demux1 (250,13). Szapping from
> frontend0 and demux0 works fine, but I can not access frontend1 and
> demux1. This Twinhan card allows for simultanously watching one channel
> and recording another one (this was check under Windows), but I can't get
> this functionality under Linux. Maybe I am giving bad modules options?

Since the hardware won't do it, you need software.
Documentation/dvb/faq.txt has some pointers, reading the list
archives would help, too.

> Apropos where can I find description of options for this modules? Or maybe
> I created wrong devices? The Linux kernel documentation
> (/usr/src/linux/Documentation/dvb/devices.txt, line number 2834 for FC2
> stock kernel package) says that LinuxTV.org DVB driver subsystem has the
> major device number 212, not 250 as written in linuxtv-dvb-1.1.1
> package README file.

You probably mean linux/Documentation/devices.txt?
Ask Redhat why they did that.

Curently DVB still has no officially assigned major number
and uses one of those reserved for "LOCAL/EXPERIMENTAL USE".

Johannes

Home | Main Index | Thread Index