[linux-dvb] Re: skystar.c (Rev.1.46) still broken in CVS

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 08:36:28PM +0100, post wrote:
> At 20:12 05.11.2004, you wrote:
>
> >skystar2 ist still broken in today's cvs, I just checked it.
> >For me, everything is fine though with 2.6.10-rc1 from kernel.org.
>
> So you have the SkyStar2 properly working now with the dvb-kernel, that
> comes with kernel-2.6.10_rc1?

Yes.
I'll make it my favourite 'background noise generator' this weekend,
and I'll tell when I should have problems.
I usually use my primary ff-card for this.
ATM, the two dvb cards, and the old analog card, are happily showing
three different tv programs on the screen (2xxawtv, 1xmplayer).

> I know that 2.6.10_rc1 has an updated and working dvb-kernel, but when I
> tried that kernel-version, I got random hardlocks (which others experienced
> as well; I'm using an nforce2 mobo, maybe it has something to do with that
> again).

No idea. I had some problems with 2.6.9, so I didn't try hard, but I
had no problems with 2.6.8.1 and 2.6.10-rc1.

> Today I really thought, the dvb-kernel of kernel-2.6.8.1 fixed the skystar
> problem, at first it seemed to work, but then again it started acting
> strangely, either that VDSB error, or a "no lock for channel .. on device
> 2" with following emergency exit.

What soft are you using? I usually use my own which is based on the
dvb-apps examples. Sometimes, I use vdr as well (no problem so far
with kernel dvb 2.6.8.1/2.6.10-rc1).

> I don't know, what else to do, I'm a little frustrated right now, maybe I
> should swap over to another budget card as second one (maybe a Hauppauge
> Nova or Nova-CI?).

I don't think so. Something else might produce your problems.

> I just want a working machine with two cards, one FF, and the second one
> preferably a budget, so that I'm able to also take a look at HDTV streams.
> Any suggestions are welcome.

My advice: just keep patience.
There are other things broken in the curent cvs, so, perhaps, fixing
these bugs might fix your problems as well ;-)
Also the skystar2 seems to be _totally_ broken in the current cvs.

Cheers, Wolfgang

Home | Main Index | Thread Index