[linux-dvb] Re: skystar.c (Rev.1.46) still broken in CVS

At 21:37 05.11.2004, you wrote:

> So you have the SkyStar2 properly working now with the dvb-kernel, that
> comes with kernel-2.6.10_rc1?

Yes.
I'll make it my favourite 'background noise generator' this weekend,
and I'll tell when I should have problems.
I usually use my primary ff-card for this.
ATM, the two dvb cards, and the old analog card, are happily showing
three different tv programs on the screen (2xxawtv, 1xmplayer).
Hm, I think I should give 2.6.10_rc1 another try then.
BTW I also have a similar setup as you, one Hauppauge WinTV Nexus-S (with CI-Slot-Adapter 545) + TechniSat SkyStar2 + Hauppauge WinTV (old analog one, just for accessing a security camera), but I intend to only use VDR as software.

> Today I really thought, the dvb-kernel of kernel-2.6.8.1 fixed the skystar
> problem, at first it seemed to work, but then again it started acting
> strangely, either that VDSB error, or a "no lock for channel .. on device
> 2" with following emergency exit.

What soft are you using? I usually use my own which is based on the
dvb-apps examples. Sometimes, I use vdr as well (no problem so far
with kernel dvb 2.6.8.1/2.6.10-rc1).
Until now I only tried VDR 1.3.14-r3, which seems to be the only software being able to handle all the needed stuff (at the moment only the two DVB cards, I still couldn't find the time to install the analog-plugin).

> I don't know, what else to do, I'm a little frustrated right now, maybe I
> should swap over to another budget card as second one (maybe a Hauppauge
> Nova or Nova-CI?).

I don't think so. Something else might produce your problems.
I just thought, maybe the driver for the Nova or Nova-CI is is not causing problems in my particular setup.

> I just want a working machine with two cards, one FF, and the second one
> preferably a budget, so that I'm able to also take a look at HDTV streams.
> Any suggestions are welcome.

My advice: just keep patience.
There are other things broken in the curent cvs, so, perhaps, fixing
these bugs might fix your problems as well ;-)
Also the skystar2 seems to be _totally_ broken in the current cvs.
I am not quite sure about the influence, when having more than one card in a machine. This VDSB error and this channel-lock-error seem to be more common than expected. This made me think, if either the combination of a FF + a budget card may generally cause problems, or the fact that either the same frontend is used for both cards, or problems occure when using different frontends.

In my setup, the Nexus-S and the SkyStar2 both have the STV0299 frontend. So I was wondering, what difference the following situations may cause:

1. Two FF cards with the same frontend.
2. Two FF cards with different frontends.
3. One FF card + one budget card with the same frontend.
4. One FF card + one budget card with different frontends.

This could indeed be quite tricky. I don't want to be a developer searching and fixing such a thing, I just want to have my machine running, and if it should turn out, that my setup is not quite the best one, I am willing to swap the cards for a solution that fits.

--
Sincerely,
Master One

Home | Main Index | Thread Index