[linux-dvb] Re: Rename budget drivers?

On Wednesday 10 Nov 2004 17:21, Michael Hunold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10.11.2004 17:32, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> > Should we sort out the name of the budget drivers once and for all?
> >
> > I would suggest:
> >
> > "budget-av" -> "dvb-cinergypci-budget"
> > "budget" -> "dvb-ttpci-budget"
> > "budget-ci" -> "dvb-ttpci-budget-ci"
> > "budget-patch" -> "dvb-ttpci-budget-patch"
>
> It's the question if we want to have a subsystem prefix (ie. dvb) in the
> driver name or not. Some parts have this (alsa), some have a suffix (fb
> drivers, ie. matroxfb), some have none (lm87, sensors/i2c drivers in
> general). Another question is, if we want to have the bus system
> mentioned or not (ie. pci or usb).
>
>  From my personal point of view, we should either
> - have it all or (ie. dvb-ttpci-budget-ci)
> - have none of it.
>
> The latter would probably mean to rename "dvb-ttpci" to "av7110" and
> other similar changes to the driver names.
>
> Is it good to have long names or not? Does this really matter in times
> of pci and usb system ids?
>
> I don't really know. 8-(

We're sort of half way between both positions right now. Personally I think
there should be a structure. I'd suggest dvb-<bus>-<extra>.

Where <bus> is "usb", "pci" etc.. and "extra" identifies the card itself...
e.g. "tt", "tt-ff", "knc1", "tt-ci".

I like the idea of changing the ff cards to have the FF suffix.

I'm not sure the suggestion to call them dvb-saa7146-* makes sense - e.g. I
don't think it would make sense to add the device-side USB interface chip to
all the USB devices.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index