[linux-dvb] Re: Rename budget drivers?

Andrew de Quincey wrote:

On Wednesday 10 Nov 2004 17:21, Michael Hunold wrote:

Hi,

On 10.11.2004 17:32, Andrew de Quincey wrote:

Should we sort out the name of the budget drivers once and for all?

I would suggest:

"budget-av" -> "dvb-cinergypci-budget"
"budget" -> "dvb-ttpci-budget"
"budget-ci" -> "dvb-ttpci-budget-ci"
"budget-patch" -> "dvb-ttpci-budget-patch"

It's the question if we want to have a subsystem prefix (ie. dvb) in the
driver name or not. Some parts have this (alsa), some have a suffix (fb
drivers, ie. matroxfb), some have none (lm87, sensors/i2c drivers in
general). Another question is, if we want to have the bus system
mentioned or not (ie. pci or usb).

From my personal point of view, we should either
- have it all or (ie. dvb-ttpci-budget-ci)
- have none of it.

The latter would probably mean to rename "dvb-ttpci" to "av7110" and
other similar changes to the driver names.

Is it good to have long names or not? Does this really matter in times
of pci and usb system ids?

I don't really know. 8-(

We're sort of half way between both positions right now. Personally I think there should be a structure. I'd suggest dvb-<bus>-<extra>.
I like this idea, the lsmod output is much easier to read for newbies this way...

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index