[linux-dvb] Re: Rename budget drivers?

Robert Schlabbach wrote:

From: "Andrew de Quincey" <adq_dvb@lidskialf.net>

We're sort of half way between both positions right now.
Personally I think there should be a structure. I'd suggest
dvb-<bus>-<extra>.

Where <bus> is "usb", "pci" etc.. and "extra" identifies the
card itself... e.g. "tt", "tt-ff", "knc1", "tt-ci".

I'm not sure the suggestion to call them dvb-saa7146-* makes
sense - e.g. I don't think it would make sense to add the
device-side USB interface chip to all the USB devices.

Well, in USB you just talk to the USB bus driver, whereas PCI bridge code
is somewhat more complex, so IMHO it'd make sense to classify what PCI
device you're talking to, so that people wanting to add new modules know if
there is already some source for a specific PCI bridge.

How about e.g.:

dvb-pci-saa7146a-ttbudget
dvb-pci-saa7146a-ttpremium
dvb-pci-saa7134-ttbudget

yes, this would even make it easier for people to find out what drivers they need to load, the PCI bridge chip label is usually easy to read...

Holger

Home | Main Index | Thread Index