[linuxtv-softmpeg] Re: SDL backend?

Andreas Kotes wrote:
Hello Niklas,

* Niklas Peinecke <n.peinecke@web.de> [20040219 15:03]:

I have joined the softmpeg list since I think libsoftmpeg could be the solution to overcome the use of "FF" DVB cards with linux. I myself use a skystar2, thus a software decoder would be great to have!

However I'm a bit worried about the use of DirectFB, practically the Matrox G400/500 series seems to be the only graphics adapter supported properly.

.. but you can use it with any graphiccard which has a framebuffer
device on linux, i.e. even the ones which have 'only' VESA fb.

with the CPU power needed to use softmpeg you should have enough spare
cycles to do that, too ...
No, not with my actual setup (K6/2 400 and some cheap ATI Mach 64), but you're probably right with modern machines. I am considering buying new hardware and was therefor worried about the following statement from the README:

In order to use this project, you need:

- DirectFB and a supported gfx
adapter (cle266 or Matrox G200/4x0/5x0 is fine, vesafb is only enough
if you have a horibbly fast machine ;-)

Well a horribly fast machine would be some 3Ghz thing and I'm not going to put such a thing in my living room.

Therefor I think it could be useful to have another backend, maybe based on SDL. I have taken a look at the code of libsoftmpeg and (although I'm a total newbie to DirectFB, SDL and libavcodec) I think it should be possible to implement such a thing. The APIs of DirectFB and SDL look very similar.

DirectFB itself has an SDL backend, by the way .. :O)

Should I try to develop such a backend? Is SDL the optimal choice or should I go for another solution?

try a little more with DirectFB, perhaps? :)

what graphic hardware are you using?
See above. But if DirectFB *has* a SDL backend, well, nevermind.

Thanks,

Niklas