[linuxtv-softmpeg] Re: SDL backend?

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 16:22, Niklas Peinecke wrote:
> Andreas Kotes wrote:
> > .. but you can use it with any graphiccard which has a framebuffer
> > device on linux, i.e. even the ones which have 'only' VESA fb.
> >
> > with the CPU power needed to use softmpeg you should have enough spare
> > cycles to do that, too ...
>
> No, not with my actual setup (K6/2 400 and some cheap ATI Mach 64),

Ville Syrjala wrote a directfb driver for mach64 based cards recently,
which you can find in cvs.

>     - DirectFB and a supported gfx
>     adapter (cle266 or Matrox G200/4x0/5x0 is fine, vesafb is only enough
>     if you have a horibbly fast machine ;-)
>
> Well a horribly fast machine would be some 3Ghz thing and I'm not going
> to put such a thing in my living room.

Much more adapters are supported which are to my knowledge all faster
than the vesafb based stuff. 3GHz is surely oversized even for vesafb.
Most CPU cycles are spent on mpeg decoding, not for displaying.

Regards,
Andreas