[linuxtv-softmpeg] Re: [vdr] Re: Re: Re: Softdevice + DirectFB +cle266 : one step beyond

That's my last cross-posting about this subject. I think the next ones will go on the linuxtv-softmpeg@linuxtv.org list. See below.

Michael Hunold wrote:
Hello Nicholas,

On 06/10/04 12:26, Nicolas Huillard wrote:

You should also follow the linuxtv-softmpeg@linuxtv.org list, then (the whole archive is easily readable).
libsoftmpeg + softmpeg VDR plugin is quite the same as softdevice plugin on DirectFB. I am currently evaluating both.
It seems that the guys there have a working HW MPEG2 decoder code. This is released as a patch to a 404 not found URL though...
Please apologize my slowness: I'll try to find the patches in my mailbox and then but it into the CVS, too.
I finally have a kernel 2.4.26-epia2 replacing 2.6.6-epia :
* latest 1.1.1 DVB drivers (I had many problems with the skystar + stv0299 modules, but a few compilations and reboots later, I think I have them right)
* latest viafb module from the -epia2 kernel patch (I checked : it is tha same as the one from CVS / the 2.6.6-epia viafb module had nothing to do with that CVS version : more files, different architecture, etc.)
* unchanged DirectFB 0.9.21-cvs et al.
* unchanged softdevice and softmpeg plugins

The result :
* softdevice over DirectFB only shows the image over the OSD, when the OSD is shown (ie. no OSD = no video, partial OSD = partial video)
* softmpeg from CVS only shows the video, but no OSD (I followed your advices and procedure)
* softdevice video and sound are both a lot jerky, with a lot of messages (STDOUT + /var/log/messages), and works only when run *before* softmpeg, not *after* (softmpeg seems to lack proper release code)
* softmpeg video and sound are smooth, with some dropped frames from time to time, and messages on STDOUT. It seems to start playing only after the first channel change.
* softmpeg messages are :
{!} [ 1293: 34.420] SoftMPEG - WARNING in audio_playout at audio.c:251: falling below low mark (2880/3333)
{!} [ 1295: 249.493] SoftMPEG - WARNING in audio_manage at audio.c:340: providing audio data too fast, at least delay 213 ms
delaying 213 ms
* channel change is slow with both (~ 1-2 sec.) (but with no thread stop problems I had with kernel 2.6.6 - NPTL)
* upon VDR stop (softmpeg), I can't get back a working console :
[softmpeg] SetPlayMode()
setting Playmode to 0
[softmpeg] ~cSoftMPEG
{-} [ 1278: 960.891] SoftMPEG/softmpeg_decoder_destroy/waiting for threads to join in
{-} [ 1278: 961.983] SoftMPEG/softmpeg_decoder_destroy/threads joined in
(!!!) *** WARNING [Application exited without deinitialization of DirectFB!] *** [../../../src/core/core.c:638 in dfb_core_deinit_check()]

So : now I would like to get the latest softmpeg code from everybody, in order to get everyhing to work as smoothly as possible (I miss the OSD...)

TIA all ;-)

A propos : I think the softdevice + DirectFB vs. libsoftmpeg + softmpeg is a duplicate effort : what the developpers think about joining ?
It's not possible from the libsoftmpeg side.

libsoftmpeg is a standalone library (and can be used with other projects, too), while softdevice is bound to vdr. Additionally, libsoftmpeg uses LGPL stuff only, so it can be used in closed-source environments, too.
I think the DirectFB code in softdevice could be totally dropped, in favour of softmpeg (that's just my 2 cent about code I didn't write...)

NH

Home | Main Index | Thread Index