[vdr] Re: OT: Promise PDC20276 Controller and Linux ?

Hi,

I just installed a machine with this board/controller last week. I also
used the driver from the Promise web-site. Runs flawlessly. Only problem
was to make yast2 add this driver to initrd because I boot this machine
from the RAID-Controller (do not have any discs on the standard IDE
channels). Finally did it manually, now it works perfectly.

Regards,

Robert

vdr-bounce@linuxtv.org wrote on 26.08.2002 01:27:48:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know if my controller is the same (Gigabyte GA8-IRXP onboard)
but I

http://www.promise.com/support/suse2_eng.asp?mode=linux_download&product_id=
> 88
>
> and it works fine with SuSE 8.0 Kernel 2.4.18-4GB now.
>
> The enclosed readme file says:
>
> [extract from readme.txt]
>
> 1.1 Foreword
>     This driver diskette should be used with all Promise FastTrak Series
>     TX & LP cards and onboard chipsets running SuSE Linux 8.0
>     Do NOT use this diskette for other versions of Linux for FastTrak
> support.
>
> 1.2 Support List
>     PDC20262   FastTrak66
>     PDC20265R   FastTrak100 Lite
>     PDC20267   FastTrak100
>     PDC20270   FastTrak LP/TX2/TX4
>     PDC20271   FastTrak TX2000
>     PDC20276   MBFastTrak133 Lite
>     PDC20277   SBFastTrak133 Lite
>     with
>     SuSE 8.0   (kernel 2.4.18)
>     SuSE 8.0SMP   (kernel 2.4.18-SMP)
>
> 1.3 Linux kernel 2.4.x ATA issue on FastTrak Series
>     Linux Kernels 2.4.x misidentifies
PDC20262/PDC20265/PDC20270/PDC20271
>     (FastTrak 66/FastTrak 100 Lite motherboard-embedded
> solution/FastTrak100TX2)
>     cards and/or chips as simple IDE controllers. This results in the
> built-in
>     Linux IDE driver trying to handle the controller and can prevent the
> proper
>     FastTrak ATA RAID driver to be loaded. Follow the installation
> instructions
>     AND the parameter commands referred to in the Notes section.
>
> [end of readme]
>
> So it should also work with your controller, mine is either a PDC20276
or a
> PDC20271.
>
> I first had to disable the original PDC202xx driver from SuSE to be able
> use
> the module supported by Promise.
>
> Hope that helps...
>
> Let me know if you need any more details...
>
> Cheers
>
> André

Of
> > Axel Gruber
> > Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2002 4:44 PM
> > To: vdr@linuxtv.org
> > Subject: [vdr] OT: Promise PDC20276 Controller and Linux ?
> >

> > Hi all
> >
> > Perhaps the one or other know my VDR "fuck up" 2 Weeks ago
> > (Mainboard failed).
> >
> > So i have buyed a new Mainboard: ASUS A7V333 with onboard RAID
(Promise)
> > I need this because i use 4DVB-S Card´s and a SCSI-CARD so i have no
free
> > PCI Slots for a PROMISE UDMA100 Controller.
> >
> > My old board had a Promise UDMA100 Raid Controller onboard wich works
fine
> > with my SUSE 7.3 !
> >
> > Now the new Mainboard have a Promise UDMA133 Controller onbaord
> > with the Promise
> > Chip: PDC20276.
> >
> > This Controller is not supported from SUSE 7.3 and also not from SUSE
8.0.

> > Does anyone have a idea what can i do to use this Controller with
> > my Current installation ?
> >
> > CU
> >
> > Axel

Home | Main Index | Thread Index