[vdr] Re: VDR is obsolete

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sabine Miehlbradt" <caboose@c-lab.de>

> > In a post on the German news site http://heise.de I recently saw a
> > remark from some Windows idiot who was bragging that he could write
> > a thing like vdr within two weeks under Windows.
> >

> Thats basically true, 2 weeks to write the stuff using DirectShow, 2
> years to chase out the bloody bugs from it anytime you want to do
> something a little out of the ordinary like  fast forward.

I fully agree with Sabine regarding this point!

I wanted to develop a windoze player that is able to handle the typical VDR
file structure for recordings (some 0xx.vdr and index.vdr). Playing a simple
0xx.vdr file with the elecard filters works pretty good and I have some
experience with programming at the windows platform, so I thought this
shouldn't be too hard. Guess what happened:

I got the first working App in a couple of hours, but it won't work reliable
at all. Some steams work, others not at all, others work for some time, then
begin to show strage things like a dia-show with audio played at 200%
speed... After fiddeling around some time, I decided to write my own
_monolitic_ demux, and use only the MPEG decoding part of the elecard filter
chain. Hope I'll get better results that way... :-)

IMHO, spreading functionality over several librarys is a good thing in
theory. But in practice it's a hard job to deal with all the various needs
of the different clients. If you want to get somthing really usable in a
non-infinite amound of time, make it only for the needs of _your_
application.

Greetings,
Christian