[vdr] Re: What do you actually need for watching?

On Thu 21 Nov, Thomas Keil bloviated thus:

> But what DVB-Cards?
>
> Is a "small" (ie not fully featured) DVB-card sufficient if he only
> wants to watch with something like tuxview, or do you absolutely
> need a fully featured card?

At the moment you need some sort of MPEG decoder card and a DVB card.
The "standard" is to have a full-featured (read: expensive) DVB card
which includes an MPEG decoder.  However a plugin is being developed
to use the much cheaper dxr3-based MPEG decoder cards and low-end
(i.e., no MPEG decoder) DVB cards.  The dxr3 plugin is apparently
usable right now, though I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon@rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit."
- Somerset Maugham

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --