[vdr] Re: Finding channels

On Monday 06 January 2003 1:40 pm, you wrote:
> Gavin Hamill wrote:
> > http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/t/42385/b5fd8a30f26048c6d8c639415c4ec
> >cbbds.html
>
> Haha, like it. That's my own post (TheGuv) and was the _only_ lead I got!

Oh dear :D

> It seems to be a valid channel because I get various status messages
> (HAS_FE_LOCK) etc etc, but times out 'waiting for SAP' or similar. I
> paraphrase since I'm at work where the VDR box isn't. This was using a
> scan program from another DVB package.

Yes I know that one... timeout on PAT .. then timeout on SDP .. yeh...

From my own experiences, the QAM and CR settings don't matter for simply
getting a lock onto a frequency...

In a cable system, I would expect QAM128 or even QAM256 to be in use, since
the signal strength is almost guaranteed to be perfect...

The Beeb dropped from QAM64 to QAM16 which dramatically reduces the number of
channels you can squeeze onto a multiplex, instead of insisting people go and
buy a new aerial (which would never happen...)

gdh