[vdr] Re: AW: Re: cDevice plugin API

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 00:23:39 +0100, "Stephan Bieker"
<stephan@bieker-online.de> wrote:

> No, please no OS war here...:-) Use what you want and what you think, it
> might the best solution for your needs. My parents surely do not use linux.
> I dont want to change their minds..:-)

I don't want to start an OS war here. ;-)

My point was that if you want a *dedicated* VDR client IMHO it is
currently better to use Linux with VDR instead of Windows and some
streaming client. With VDR you you have everything for easy use
available: remote-control and OSD.

If you have no *dedicated* box available, a client under windows may be
nice. But an alternative would be to have a dual-boot pc. I have
installed one myself for my daughter. Under windwos she can view live
transmission with the regular win-tv software, booting under Linux-VDR
gives her the functionality of a regular SAT receiver combined with full
access to all recordings on the main server. She can easily prog timers
through www.tvtv.de and vdradmin.

> I think, the idea behind this is right. VDR is at time much too complicated
> to configure easyly a full htpc. I dont want to flame but this is my
> opinion. Although i'm not a coder in anyway i can imagine how much work is
> done by them. But the way for vdr should be too integrate as many things
> into the main application instead of cary them out to plugins. And in the
> same way, it should integrate win-clients and linux clients and what you
> might think of. Why not watch tv on a pocket pc over wlan in the bathroom
> (or toilet..;-)?
> For now, the way it goes is ok, but i think, it would be good to add "basic"
> functions like mp3, (s)vcd, dvd, divx and streaming into the plain vdr and
> add a easy way to integrate windows-clients. Why not add those plugins into
> the plain vdr and us a make switch to choose, if someone wants them? This
> should make many things easyer.

For the enduser it doesn't matter whether the functionality is provided
by plugins or integrated. The point you make is that the installation is
complicated because of all the many steps necessary. This is right, I
think this will improve over time. There are already simple mini
distributions available which need nothing more than copying the files
to some place and do a reboot. But this currently works for specific
hardware like the Multitainer.

> But no other things. Ask my son if he will have a "light" vdr - box or a
> counterstrike capable windows pc. Windows exists, realize that...:-) And i
> dont want 10 PCs at home. 5 are enough..:-(

Why not having dual-boot pcs? (see comments above)

Emil