[vdr] Re: cDevice plugin API

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:40:46 +0000, Gavin Hamill <gdh@acentral.co.uk>
wrote:

> My personal focus would really be Windows - so that a Linux machine
> would act as a standalone STB with VDR / OSD / IR remote control, but
> also be able to hook into a home network and let normal users 'just
> watch TV' - no rocket science, no Linux needed, usable even by your
> mother, etc.
>
> Just download the client, configure the IP of the Windows machine in
> VDR, and away you go. Just think, DVB on Windows without crappy drivers
> =) Plus you'd benefit from all the recordings already on the VDR box..
> from a simple STB to a full 'video-on-demand' server, all through a
> familiar, comfortable interface.

Why do you want to go to expensive crappy windows when cheap stable
Linux is available?

The standard VDR interface with OSD is easy to use from age 5-99 :-) .
Just install a "light" VDR-box and it runs perfectly as client.
If a remote Schedule, Timer and Recordings menu together with a remote
transfer mode is added you

> Yes, I know I'm getting a bit carried away, but it's such a good idea,
> IMO =)

The idea is good, I have postet something similar several times here.
BUT, the idea to use crappy windows is very bad. ;-)

Emil