[vdr] Re: How to get the VDR box silent

--On Montag, 20. Januar 2003 09:48 +0100 Ondrej Wisniewski <ondrej.wisniewski@eri.ericsson.se> wrote:

I think that the only really noisy parts of the box will be the cooling
fans of the power supply unit and the main processor. Now I read in a
All moving parts will generate noise. You have to silence the fans and the hard drive.

Does anyone know of a less expensive CPU that will run without active
cooling ? How did you deal with the noise problem ?
I took an old Slot 1 Pentium II CPU originally clocked at 433 MHz and slowed it down to 300 MHz (the mainboard didn't allow a slower speed ;-). It's equipped with a passive heatsink that covers both front and back of the processor. I can't play DivX movies through the DVB card with this configuration but everything else works just fine.

I also replaced the power supply fan with a slower and more quiet fan (which made the biggest audible difference). If you are willing to spend at least 250 EUR on the power supply, you can also buy a fan-less unit.

Last but not least I did not screw on the hard drive but instead placed it on a cork pad instead.

I wonder why commercial sat receivers (like the DreamBox running on Linux
http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/cat_eng/produkte/dreambox.php4) don't
have the cooling problem ? They have a Main processor and power supply as
well.
They are

a) not using PC processors (Intel/AMD) which have a high thermal power loss and draw a lot of power and
b) they are using more energy-efficient power supplies (PC power supplies are dead cheap, not efficient)

Regards,
hh