[vdr] How to get the VDR box silent

Hello everyone,

I will be starting to assemble a VDR box soon, but in order to install it in the living room it should be quite silent (this would also help a lot to convince my wife of this project (-; ).

I think that the only really noisy parts of the box will be the cooling fans of the power supply unit and the main processor. Now I read in a recent issue of the CHIP magazin that you could use a PIII 1.2GHz without fan if underclocked to 600MHz. Unfortunatly this seems quite a waste of processor power (which you pay for of course).

Does anyone know of a less expensive CPU that will run without active cooling ? How did you deal with the noise problem ?

I wonder why commercial sat receivers (like the DreamBox running on Linux http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/cat_eng/produkte/dreambox.php4) don't have the cooling problem ? They have a Main processor and power supply as well.

Thank you for anyone who can give me some information on this subject.
Ondrej ...