[vdr] Re: How to get the VDR box silent

On Monday 20 January 2003 09:48, you wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I will be starting to assemble a VDR box soon, but in order to install it
> in the living room it should be quite silent (this would also help a lot to
> convince my wife of this project (-; ).
>
> I think that the only really noisy parts of the box will be the cooling
> fans of the power supply unit and the main processor. Now I read in a
> recent issue of the CHIP magazin that you could use a PIII 1.2GHz without
> fan if underclocked to 600MHz. Unfortunatly this seems quite a waste of
> processor power (which you pay for of course).

Hmm a far cheaper possibility would be a duron. At the moment the 1,2Ghz
version is sold here in germany for around 40 Eur. I would buy a recent
cooler for it and maybe run it at 800, or just leave it as is. I have a
Mastercooler Supersilent pro tc. This fan has a temperature sensor and runs
between 1500 - 3000 RPM. The power supply will be louder as this fan. For the
powersupply I would buy a enermax 350W with  pre-set potentiometer. A quiet
harddisk is mandatory too (a recent one and hdparm -M128 is your friend). If
you take in account that the box will stand some meters away, with this
components it should be very quiet. I read a description to build a housing
with "MDF" . This should help to avoid resonances.

> Does anyone know of a less expensive CPU that will run without active
> cooling ? How did you deal with the noise problem ?

I have a normal desktop machine as vdr. Beside the housing I use above
mentioned components. Sometimes I have to go directly to the machine to hear
it. Further it could be a concept to let the vdr-machine be in another room.
I dream of a display display attached to plexiglas as all that is seen from
the machine, maybe with a firewire-dvd-drive too.

> I wonder why commercial sat receivers (like the DreamBox running on Linux
> http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/cat_eng/produkte/dreambox.php4) don't
> have the cooling problem ? They have a Main processor and power supply as
> well.

They don't use desktop-cpu and dsp's I guess. I guess a arm processor with
200-300 Mhz is build in such machines, so the powersupply can be very small
(==very quiet) and so on and so forth. with such a machine you will never
ever be able to play divx to your dvb-card.

> Thank you for anyone who can give me some information on this subject.
> Ondrej ...

I'm interested what is coming up from others :)

--
Regards
Steffen