[vdr] Re: Networked TV

On Thursday 23 January 2003 5:08 pm, you wrote:
> Hi!
> Here is what I would like to do: Because I don't have got any space for a
> TV set, which isn't a problem, I want to watch on a PC. The trick is, that
> I want to put the DVB card into my server, which is running all the time,
> so I would be able to watch TV on my laptop too, but only one station at a
> time.

You're a man after my own heart, Phil :)

I did a post about this not long ago - have a look for it, but the general
gist was this:

- There's already a streaming plugin for VDR which will send the current
MPEG2 channel (or a fixed channel) over the net as multicast/unicast UDP.

- The output is playable either with MPlayer, or that free Elecard MPEG2
demux DirectShow filter for Windows.

- VideoLAN also uses MPEG2 over UDP unicast/multicast and supports RTP.

- VideoLAN client supports DVD subpictures.

- The dxr3 plugin for VDR outputs the VDR on-screen display as DVD
subpictures.

- VideoLAN includes clients for Win32 (lovely DirectX hardware overlay),
Linux, Mac OS X

So, there already exists code to run everything including VDR's onscreen
display from a remote station.... It's a matter of coding something to hook
the various parts together, and to enable a back-channel so OSD selections
are relayed back into VDR.

> I've got some experience with Linux and C-coding,

Ah ha :) And that's where you come in... =)

If you feel up to 'having a go', I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd love
to be involved in the testing / results!

As far as hardware goes - all you need is a single DVB card to start off
with... a budget one might be ideal since you have access to the raw
Transport Stream with all the broadcast PIDs - the full-feature ones can only
stream up to 8 PIDs at a time...

gdh