[vdr] Re: Networked TV

Am Don, 2003-01-23 um 19.50 schrieb Gavin Hamill:
> On Thursday 23 January 2003 5:08 pm, you wrote:
> > Hi!
> > Here is what I would like to do: Because I don't have got any space for a
> > TV set, which isn't a problem, I want to watch on a PC. The trick is, that
> > I want to put the DVB card into my server, which is running all the time,
> > so I would be able to watch TV on my laptop too, but only one station at a
> > time.
>
> You're a man after my own heart, Phil :)
>
> I did a post about this not long ago - have a look for it, but the general
> gist was this:
>
> - There's already a streaming plugin for VDR which will send the current
> MPEG2 channel (or a fixed channel) over the net as multicast/unicast UDP.
>
> - The output is playable either with MPlayer, or that free Elecard MPEG2
> demux DirectShow filter for Windows.
>
> - VideoLAN also uses MPEG2 over UDP unicast/multicast and supports RTP.
>
> - VideoLAN client supports DVD subpictures.
>
> - The dxr3 plugin for VDR outputs the VDR on-screen display as DVD
> subpictures.
>
> - VideoLAN includes clients for Win32 (lovely DirectX hardware overlay),
> Linux, Mac OS X
>
> So, there already exists code to run everything including VDR's onscreen
> display from a remote station.... It's a matter of coding something to hook
> the various parts together, and to enable a back-channel so OSD selections
> are relayed back into VDR.
>
> > I've got some experience with Linux and C-coding,
>
> Ah ha :) And that's where you come in... =)

It seems Sascha Volkenandt is working to implement a RTP-stack into the
DXR3-code. This means all can be streamed with DVDsubpicture-based OSD
(and control by VDRADMIND 0.22).

Maybe you can help him - or much better implement a FFSERVER-plugin for
VDR. This plugin could create a feed for any channel in channels.conf
and if the first client connects to the server on the FFSERVER-homepage,
the plugin polls the MPEG-stream from VDR -> low load and unlimited
number of users (multiple channels of course)!

Rene