[vdr] Re: DVB-T stream corruption in Finland

> From: Lauri Tischler [mailto:lauri.tischler@efore.fi]
> >
> Sorry to say, but the problem is not totally solved.
> I just started to record Farscape and the number of continuity errors
> went right up, a lot, quite a few artefacts in the picture.
> Not as bad as it was, but slightly annoying.
> Well, I'm getting my fullfunction DVB-T board next week,
> that should do the trick.

Yes, there definitely is something still wrong, but I don't think it's my
fault. You didn't mention how you did watch the recording if you only have
Nova-T? You might note that I didn't touch the recording thread on that diff
if you are concerned that the patch broke the recording in another way.

As far as it goes for the continuity errors, the patch doesn't process data
any differently when errors are encountered, it merely reports if it sees
one. And that's using the incoming data quite directly from the DVB device.
I left the dsyslog() call commented because it can generate quite a lot of
those at worst.

What do you get if you let the driver report the errors, e.g:

	dvbtune -f 562000000
	dvbtune -f 562000000 -m

do you get BlockErrors then (let it run for a longer time and grep results
from a file afterwards). I did use the same method as dvbtune does at first.
That gave me couple of panics in the driver. So that diff (and plug-in) will
have to wait for a stable driver...

I'm little bit curious about the size of the antenna. A friend of mine
reports that he uses no antenna at all (well, some piece of metal wire) to
receive the broadcast, and he also has visual contact with the radio link. I
live approx 20km from the radio link, I live on the first floor, I have very
modest (= cheapest I could find) indoor antenna placed inside my apartment,
in front of the window. There's tall buildings and forest in the direction
of the radio link and I still can receive the picture. But it requires
_really_ careful _positioning_ of the antenna (not only the setting the
antenna direction correctly). And what's weird is that if I move the antenna
few centimeters from the optimal place I can loose signal quality on some
channel set (not all). Weird, they should come from exactly the same place
(radio link), shouldn't they? But I think that has something to do with the
signal reflections from the buildings etc...

					Teemu