[vdr] Re: maximum cable length for wintv nova-s

----- Original Message -----
From: "Claas Hilbrecht" <claas@jucs-kramkiste.de>
To: <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2003 1:17 PM
Subject: [vdr] maximum cable length for wintv nova-s

> Has anyone experience how long the maximum supported cable length by a
> wintv nova-s pci card is? Currently I have the following setup:
>
> CAS 90 Kathrein -> UAS 485 Kathrein -> 10 m cable Axing SKB96 (2050 MHz =
> 29 dB / 100m) -> Überspannungsschutz Axing mit 0,5 dB Dämpfung -> 23 m
> cable (2050 MHz = 30,8 dB / 100m)
>
> With this setup vdr says soon after starting the recording: "ERROR: video
> data stream broken on device 1". If I change the 23 m cable with a low
> budget 20 m cable I can record some very broken streams. With both cables a
> philips dbox2 works without any problems and the picture is pretty good.
>
> Has anyone expierence what I can do to allow approx. 30 - 35 m cable length?

Sounds to me, if this is not the best quality cable an its a bit long (in theory). But if youre sure, theres no physical damage to
the cable in any way, i would give a "entzerrer" a try. This device should be installed at the end of the antenna cable and should
equalize the damping over the frequency.

Because you have a 90 cm dish, you should have a strong enough signal strenght. _Perhaps_ there is too much difference in the
damping over the frequency. Some receivers get a little bit confused by this, because of your long cable the lower frequencies may
overstear the receiver while the upper ones (with the digital programms) are highly damped. Its worth a try. Does your UAS 485 give
you the ability to adjust the damping related to the frequency? Then try this first as a cheap one but its better do damp at the
end.

Gruss

Stephan