[vdr] Re: Software replay plugin Was: SPDIF out

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently working on such a thing. For a long time I had a
> DirectFb-plugin which was using the v4l device of a full featured DVB
> card. It was running fine and the picture was very good (G400), but I
> often had lookups and it was difficult to built up the system (patch
> after patch ...).
>
> Now I've switched to X11 because X11 is more widely supported. And when
> you have a X11 screen on your TV you have instantly thousends of
> applications for it (Web-Browser, Video-Conference, ...). This is a
> great advantage for _me_. The picture quality is not so good, but _I_
> can live with it.
>
> Currently I have X11 running in a 1024x576 resolution (16:9) which
> allows to display interlaced content fine. X11 is working on top of the
> frame buffer device, and for it the TV-out is activated. I needed no
> kernel patch to get that running!
>
> The player plugin what I wrote is based on Xine. I tried libmpeg2,
> MPlayer and GStreamer before. With libmpeg2 I got a really nice picture
> and good behavior, but I had no audio. I stopped working on that having
> in mind that audio support and sync support will be difficult to
> implement. With mplayer I had very fast success, but it was not so
> stable. Mplayer doesn't like when the stream changes and it don't likes
> fast forward/backward. Also it was not possible to stop mplayer taking
> the X events. Therefore when I pressed ESC (which is mapped to 'Back' in
> my setup) Mplayer quits a.s.o. With GStreamer I got nothing to play.
> The xine plugin currently has problems with fast channel switching and
> with replay of recordings. It needs some patching in vdr and in xine.
> What I like on xine is, that it supports OSD. Currently I'm painting the
> OSD directly on the X-window. This looks very nice, but I didn't
> implement scaling yet. Therefore the window is fixed to 768x576, but
> this is not a big problem. The drawback of this OSD is that it has no
> alpha blending capabilities.
>
> If I get it stable I'll of course release it. But is has a low priority
> for me. If someone wants to have the sources you can mail me. Of course
> it's ok to take parts of it to make a plugin of your own.
>
> Mike

Hi

I wouldn't mind having a look at the sources os any extra ideas are worth
looking at. :-)

Could you give more info on how you got X working on TV out.  Is this clone
mode and there the same is displayed to both CRTCs?  If it was this would
mean it is accelerated :-)

Cheers
Ray