[vdr] Re: Streamdev 0.0.2 problem

Rene Bartsch wrote:

> Am Mon, 2003-05-05 um 22.08 schrieb Sascha Volkenandt:
> > On Sonntag, 4. Mai 2003 23:17 Rene Bartsch wrote:
> > > Objection!
> >
> > Whoops ;)
> >
> > > MPlayer-playback get's heavy artefarcts (errors in decoding slice) when
> > > two machine access the same channel (this can't be a network-problems as
> > > the VDR-server and one client is connected to the switch by 1000Base-T
> > > and the second client by 100Base-T).
> >
> > Hey I said it works with mplayer, I didn't say it works with specificly TWO
> > mplayers. I've thought someone might use only one, or at least three or more,
> > so two is impossible ;)
> >

> Really? Do I have to buy two or twenty additional machines? (My inmate

I believe you mean "room-mate" - or are you actually living in prison? ;-)

> already has three machines in his room, so I'll have to upgrade soon -
> maybe I can get some used Cray 2 or X from the NSA? ;o)

> But to be serious, I get the impression there's a buffer-handling
> problem in transfer-mode of VDR. When one receiver-thread cannot take
> over enough or as much data as the others the source-stream seems to
> stop/slow down affecting all other receiver-threads on that channel.

Any cReceiver attached to a cDevice is expected to accept the data
provided in the Receive() call *IMMEDIATELY* and with as little delay
as possible. If one cReceiver takes too long here it will slow down
the whole process and eventually cause the data stream to break for
others, too. There is no way VDR can buffer this, it's up to the individual
cReceiver to buffer the data if it can't handle it immediately.

Klaus