[vdr] Re: Switching off

Jan Ekholm wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
> >Jan Ekholm wrote:

> >> What would VDR add to the call and why?
> >
> >See VDR/INSTALL. Keep in mind that some people want their VDR to
> >automatically reboot in time to do the next recording ;-)
>
> Ok, I only read the info in MANUAL and the man-page, so I missed that.
> Well, then a simple script as you suggest in INSTALL would work well too.
> We mainly shutdown the box if it needs to be quiet, for example if we have
> guests sleeping over in the living room. But it makes perfect sense.
>
> Can one btw assume that after calling the given application VDR does
> nothing of its own to shutdown, it expects the be terminated externally by
> the called application/script?

From VDR/INSTALL:

Your program must
also initiate the actual shutdown procedure of the computer. After this
your program should return to VDR. VDR will not automatically exit after
calling the shutdown program, but will rather continue normally until it
receives a SIGTERM when the computer is actually shut down. So in case
the shutdown fails, or the shutdown program for some reason decides not to
perform a shutdown, VDR will stay up and running and will call the shutdown
program again after another MinUserInactivity minutes.

Klaus