[vdr] Re: [ANNOUNCE] vdr-xine-0.0.2 plugin

Am Dienstag, 9. September 2003 11:08 schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
> Frank Scherthan wrote:
> > Reinhard Nissl wrote:
> > > Yes, they can be put somewhere else. Which directory would you
> > > suggest? I think "/dev" would not be a good idea.
> > >
> > > I'd like to change this in the evening. What do the other list
> > > members suggest as directory and as extension for the fifos?
> >
> > Well, I think the best place would be the plugins-dir. As Klaus
> > suggested some time ago, plugin-specific files should go there...
> > So /CONFIGDIR/plugins/xine would be the PATH I aspect some
> > xine-plugin related files...
>
> I'd say so, too.
> However, config files are probably more "static", and some people
> might want them to reside under /etc/..., where a fifo file might
> not be welcome.
>
> Where are other fifo files typically put in a Linux file system?
> I would assume that others must have had to make this decision
> before...

Hmmm I would put them under /tmp/.vdr-xine or the like. /usr/lib is for
libs, /usr/share for static data, /etc/ for configuration. Maybe it
would be a good idea to append some unique ID too to the fifos. So i
would vote for /tmp/.vdr-xine.123456 or the like. At least some other
apps like kde, xmms and more having sockets there. That as default and
making it possible to pass the location to the plugin should be the
safest solution.

Steffen