[vdr] Re: VDR version 1.2.5pre2 pre-release

Thomas Schmidt wrote:

> Hi
>
> * Klaus Schmidinger schrieb am 07.09.03, um 11:23 Uhr:
> > Before I upload the official 1.2.5 release I would appreciate if some of
> > you could find the time to look over this one in the VDR Developer directory.
>
> I took some time, to look over this pre-release. I did not test the
> vdr-pre-releases of vdr 1.2.3 and 1.2.4, so the following comments target
> at changed from these versions too.
>
> I am not verry happy with the changes regarding errors conf-files, and
> missing conf-files.
>
> One thing is that a diseqc.conf-file is required, even for users who
> don't use DiSEqC. I created an empty diseqc.conf, and vdr works again
> - i would say it is not verry usefull if this file is required.
> I would suggest, that vdr checks, if DiSEqC == 1 in setup.conf, and
> then requires diseqc.conf. (I made a small patch against vdr.c which
> is attached.)

Good idea. However, I've changed this to be

   Diseqcs.Load(AddDirectory(ConfigDirectory, "diseqc.conf"), true, Setup.DiSEqC) &&

The third parameter to AddDirectory() tells whether this is a required file.
This way it will be read when it's there, even if Setup.DiSEqC is 0, which
is important if somebody starts VDR and then, inside VDR, sets Setup.DiSEqC
to 1.

> Another thing is that i am switching between vdr vanilla and vdr with
> autopid-patch. Because of autopid i have the entry "Blue Director" in
> my keymacros.conf. Now vanilla vdr does not start with this entry. I
> would suggest that vdr ignores this entry, and only prints an Error in
> the syslog.

"Director" is not an officially defined key, so I'm reluctant to
make this change. I'd like a typo in key names to be reported immediately.
Version 1.3 will most likely introduce such a function officially.

> The second thing regarding keymacros.conf is the test for
> entries like "Key @pluginname", where the plugin is not available - i
> would say here too, that it would be enough to print an error in the
> syslog and ignore this entry. (Another small patch regarding these
> issues is attached.)

This has already been suggested by Alexander Wetzel <alexander.wetzel@web.de>.
It's not enough to just return 'false' here, you also have to do

           macro[--n] = kNone;

otherwise a different function might be executed when pressing that key.
Will be changed in 1.2.5.

> The third thing, i would suggest, is a small change in the
> runvdr-script, to inform the user, if vdr exited with exit state 2.
>
> Simply replace: if test $? -eq 0 -o $? -eq 2; then exit; fi
> with:
>
>    case $? in
>       0)
>          exit
>       ;;
>       2)
>          echo "An non-recoverable error has been detected, vdr has given up."
>          exit 2
>       ;;
>    esac

VDR already prints a detailed error message to 'stderr' at all places
where it returns '2', so I don't really see the benefit in this
additional message. It might even distract the user from the
actual error message. Or am I missing something?

Klaus