[vdr] Re: Order of recordings

Andreas Kool wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:25:48PM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > Carsten Koch wrote:

> > > I use subdirectories for genres, not just for series.
> > > I would even assume that most people who have more than a hundred
> > > recordings use subdirectories to structure their stuff somehow.
> > > So I guess it would be nice to be able to toggle between alphabetical
> > > and chronological order when viewing folder contents.
> > > Klaus, would you consider this a useful feature?
> >
> > Sure. All we need is a reasonable concept of how and where to
> > store the information for each single directory in which mode
> > (time or alphabetical) it shall be sorted, and a way of switching
> > this flag for an individual directory.
>
> How about simply adding a button (maybe [1]) to change the sort-order
> in the "Recordings" menu?

Well, sure there needs to be a button to do this ;-)
But '1' (and also '2'...'9') are already in use for the recording
commands. So the only one that's left here is '0'.

> On entry:                 Sorted alphabetically
> First time pressing [1]:  Sorted by recording time
> Second time pressing [1]: Sorted by genre (Ok, ok, just a joke ...)

I would assume that the "genre" is the directory level above this one.

> Third time pressing [1]:  Sorted alphabetically

I think this would be a simple toggle between "by name"
and "by time".

I'm not sure yet whether to store this information in the directory
name or in an extra file. Since the next version of VDR will cache
all recording information I guess a file wouldn't hurt, and this would
keep things compatible with older VDR versions (which would simply
ignore this feature).

Klaus