[vdr] Re: Order of recordings

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 14:00, Emil Naepflein wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:34:41 +0200, Carsten Koch <Carsten.Koch@icem.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Andreas Kool wrote:
> > ..
> > > How about simply adding a button (maybe [1]) to change the sort-order
> > > in the "Recordings" menu?
> > >
> > > On entry:                 Sorted alphabetically
> > > First time pressing [1]:  Sorted by recording time
> > > Second time pressing [1]: Sorted by genre (Ok, ok, just a joke ...)
> > > Third time pressing [1]:  Sorted alphabetically
> >
> > That's exactly the humble concept which I had in mind.
> > Of course, Klaus' ambitious idea to have the sort order stick to each
> > directory is very nice, too. I guess the easiest solution would be to
> > start with the above, create an empty file ".vdr_sort_by_time" in the
> > directory when [1] is pressed and delete that file when [1] is pressed
> > again.
> > Or, start with the above and extend it to maintain a setup entry
> > "DirectoriesSortedByTime" whose value is a list of directory names.
>
> Storing the info in an additional file is very bad. Especially with
> hundreds of recordings we already have the problem that reading all the
> entries and the mark file takes a very long time. I have reduced the
> number of accesses considerably by limiting the tree search to
> directories and caching the directory information. But alone the reading
> of the marks file for each recording takes very long when the data was
> pushed out of the buffer cache by running recordings, playback or
> cutting. It sometimes takes more than a minute on a busy system which
> then triggers the timeout. So there should be a solution which reduces
> file accesses to a minimum.
>
> My implemented solution for sorting is to sort everything
> alphabetically.

How about:
1. sort everything alphabetically.
2. if user wants another sorting order rename the directories such that
they are still in alphabetical order.  To do this you can prefix the
directory number.
3. When displaying/working with recordings remove the number

So if I had showA showB and showC, the default order would be:
showA
showB
showC

If I wanted them sorted differently vdr could rename them (for eg)
(001)showB
(002)showC
(003)showA

The vdr menus could display them as
showB
showC
showA

This system would require no more files, allow per-directory ordering,
be backwards compatible with old versions of vdr.