[vdr] Re: VDR-distros should collaborate ...

Rene Bartsch wrote:
Hi,

currently we do have at least 3 VDR-distros out there (Mulimidix, LinVDR and ctvdr).
I think they cover different scopes: The LinVDR distro seems to be designed
for minimum size, so maybe it will make sense on a diskless machine that
boots from a flash disk or a USB stick. Very nice, but way too complicated
for the average Windows user who just wants to try VDR out.
ctvdr is excellent for those people. Heck, maybe it even gets some of them
started on Linux for good. I think it's a great idea that they made it small,
but allow the user to add everything that's missing easily.

What about a collaboration between the distros instead of building each one from the root?

That means we waste capacities doing everything three times instead of concentrating on one.

I like the approach of the c't-distro with a slim Debian-woody less than 200 MByte. Anything can be added as a Debian-package and it can even be extended to a full Debian.

So I want to ask all to put their knowledge and wisdom into debian packages for the ctvdr-distro.
I totally agree.

Carsten.