[vdr] Re: VDR-distros should collaborate ...

Hi René,

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Rene Bartsch wrote:
> currently we do have at least 3 VDR-distros out there (Mulimidix, LinVDR
> and ctvdr).
All three have a very different approach: While Mulimidix develops to a whole
multimedia Linux system (with VDR as one of its lot features), LinVDR is a
pure VDR recorder plus some useful plugins cut as short as possible -- we try
not to extend a 64 MB Flash, so you can build diskless stations cheap.
The c't VDR on the other hand is a Debian base system with VDR, so let's say
"too much Linux" for the simple user.

> What about a collaboration between the distros instead of building each
> one from the root?
Very difficult.

> That means we waste capacities doing everything three times instead of
> concentrating on one.
That's a problem I see as well.

> I like the approach of the c't-distro with a slim Debian-woody less than
> 200 MByte.
I don't. We tried to hide Linux as good as possible from the user. When we
have some kind of automatic system recognition and installation CD, no one
will really notice that Linux is running -- it will be just a digital harddisk
recorder with some extras.

Bye,
  _cooper_