[vdr] Re: Suggestions for tv output?

Hi,

and happy new year to the list !

I am using a 16:9 tv connected by the "composite output" of a nexus-dvb,
because unfortunately there is no more RGB or SVHS available on the lastests
releases (v2.1 or v2.2) of this card.

Even if video quality isn't so bad for a composite output, I think it could
be better  using RGB or SVHS output, especially when viewing on large
screen. (Since I noticed a significant improvement when using my Sony DVD
player on RGB mode instead of composite -or even SVHS mode - I think it
shoud be the same way with my vdrbox).

I am considering two upgrades solutions, as described by Reinhard Nissl :

composite => svhs : using xine plugins and a svhs card,
- Which are the bests videos cards and chipsets for this purpose ?
(For example have ATI and Matrox the same output quality ?)
- How about the video quality improvement, compared with composite dvb card
?

composite => rgb : building an RGB SCART
I think it would be the better way, but I don't know what I need to build an
RGB SCART connector. Could you help please tell us more ?

Feel free to give your opinion about theses two upgrades, and the pros and
cons
of each solution ;-)

Bye !
Karim.

Hi,

Matt McLeod wrote:

>>So for for 'tv-output' i've either gotta go mpeg decoder or tv-out card.
Qualty is a big concern with me( the reason why I bought a plasma screen,
and went digital) I'd like to know what people would recommend for best
picture output, I'm talking on a widescreen 16:9 1'm tv here.

[ snip ]

> Cards with TV-out are fairly cheap.  Personally, I'd try a Matrox
> G400 as they've got a very nice crisp display and can be obtained
> on eBay fairly cheaply.  I haven't tried the xine-plugin yet, as

I use the xine-plugin with a Matrox G550, using xine's vidix driver (xine -V
vidix) on an X11 display. The card has two connectors and I plan to use one
for connecting a TV, first by using Composite- or S-Video cable, later by
using RGB pins of a SCART-connector directly (selfmade VGA->SCART cable).