[vdr] Re: Suggestions for tv output?

Hi,

Matt McLeod wrote:

So for for 'tv-output' i've either gotta go mpeg decoder or tv-out card. Qualty is a big concern with me( the reason why I bought a plasma screen, and went digital) I'd like to know what people would recommend for best picture output, I'm talking on a widescreen 16:9 1'm tv here.
[ snip ]

Cards with TV-out are fairly cheap.  Personally, I'd try a Matrox
G400 as they've got a very nice crisp display and can be obtained
on eBay fairly cheaply.  I haven't tried the xine-plugin yet, as
I use the xine-plugin with a Matrox G550, using xine's vidix driver (xine -V vidix) on an X11 display. The card has two connectors and I plan to use one for connecting a TV, first by using Composite- or S-Video cable, later by using RGB pins of a SCART-connector directly (selfmade VGA->SCART cable).

First, I'll try to run a second X server on the second connector, but it should also be possible to avoid X and let the vidix driver use the hardware directly.

If you plan to watch HDTV, then you must look for a different card. It seems that the video overlay of the G550 cannot properly handle source data larger than 1024 x 1024 pixels (HDTV: 1920 x 1080). I took a photo of the resulting image:

http://home.vr-web.de/~rnissl/attic/jewelry1-1.jpg

Here is, how it should look like:

http://home.vr-web.de/~rnissl/attic/jewelry1-1.png

I have a working setup using a combination of WebVCR+, Freevo, and
a script of my own which WebVCR+ uses to do the actual recording
from a TT-budget card, but it is on the list of things to try.
Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl@gmx.de