[vdr] Re: AC3 audio handling

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 08:35:00PM +0200, Sven Fischer wrote:
> Am Montag, 3. Mai 2004 19:05 schrieb Stefan Huelswitt:
> > On 03 May
> > As you can see from my compatibility list, some Sony receivers
[...]
> > are reported to work, but not particularly the one you owns. I
> > have reports about other receivers which require to disable
> > format-autodetection and manualy force them to DD. May be this
> > works for you too, as your receiver basically seems to be able to
> > handle the data (you hear something most of the time) but
> > sometimes it mess up.
>
> I have the same receiver and experience the same problem. But obviously DD
> works if one chooses one of the Cinema Sound Fileds. Without this sound
> program my receiver doesn't play the center channel.
>
> I also tried the bitstreamout (DMX XFire), but with similar results.

Hmmm ... bitstreamout opens the S/P-DIF out of the soundcard in the
none audio S/P-DIF mode.  This means if the soundcard _and_ the
ALSA driver supports none audio S/P-DIF mode (aka the status bit of
the second S/P-DIF 32 bit transport word is set to true on both
tranport channels) it should work.  AFAIK the S/P-DIF out of the DVB
card can not set this none audio S/P-DIF mode.

> If someone would have a solution for this, it would be great. Who wants to
> swap my soundcard with one that's working with the SONY? ;-)

Does your Sony Receiver play AC3 and DTS correctly from a standard
but NONE Sony DVD-Player?  Also the question rise: is it possible
to play AC3 or DTS CDROMs (not DVDs) with 44.1 kHz sampling rate?

The next question would be: Does a simple and cheap CMI8738 based
soundcard with S/P-DIF in/out work together with this ony receiver.

        Werner

--
AC3 loop through sound card http://bitstreamout.sourceforge.net/
Howto http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?threadid=1958