[vdr] Re: Starting runvdr at startup whle using xine-vdr plugin

I demand that Thomas Schorpp may or may not have written...

> Andy and David Higgins Thompson wrote:
>> These do start up vdr at launch, however when VDR is launched this way, I
>> am only able to watch the output if I login as root and not as any other
>> user.  I assume because it outputs to x as root.

>> Since my family and I all watch tele on this box, I do not want to always
>> have to log in as root.  Does anyone have any advice.

> known.

> just create and add the users to "video" group.

> look at system log for the video device nr., goto /dev, chgrp to video,
> chmod "crw-rw----" for /dev/..videox frontendx, ...

> but didnt work on debian for me, last resort: crw-rw-rw

My vdr .deb set uses its own uid and gid (for resources in /etc/vdr and
/video) and has video as a supplementary group, which basically solves this
problem but lets anybody use it (which probably isn't a problem).

Currently, 1.3.11 is available from the URL below; 1.3.12 should be available
within a day or so, along with a few recompiled plugins (basically, just
library name changes) - unless I encounter significant problems ;-)

One question, though: how to determine if vdr's currently idle? One of my
patches (see the .diff.gz) needs to know this in order to know whether vdr
can be restarted for whatever reason, typically due to an upgrade, without
interrupting anything.

I suppose that what I really want is to be able to tell it to restart (in
effect, "exec `readlink /proc/$$/exe`") if it's idle or when it becomes
idle.

| Debian,     | s zap,tartarus,org            | Northumberland
| RISC OS     | @                             | Toon Army
|   <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/progs.packages.html>

Do you want to see my disk collection?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index