[vdr] Re: ACPI-Wakeup for VDR

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Patrick Cernko (PC) wrote:

PC> Also sprach André Weidemann zu "28.07.2004 23:54" Anno Domini:
PC> > >
PC> > > BTW2. any suggestions are welcome
PC> > >
PC> >
PC> > Is there anything special about acpi-wakeup? As far as I know
PC> > nvram-wakeup has been doing this for quite a while and supports
PC> > varios mainboards.
PC>
PC> As far as I know, acpi-wakeup uses a standard ACPI command to program
PC> the BIOS, which is much wider supported as nvram-wakeup's way which
PC> needs to be adopted to mostly any new mainboard (and BIOS revision).

Yes, this is the advantage of ACPI: there is a standard behind it. If the
board has a good implementation of ACPI, then it should work.

AFAIK, the LinVDR people are using acpi for wakeup for quite a long time.

the only disadvantage of acpi-wakeup is that it is only able to wakeup
daily. I.e., if your nextr recording is in 10 days at 20:15, the pc will
wake up every day at 20:15.

c ya
        Sergei
--