[vdr] Re: VDR 1.3.12 buffer optimizations

Emil Naepflein wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:46:52 +0200, Klaus Schmidinger
> <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to avoid the 'usleep(1)' in cRecorder::Action() and use
> > ringBuffer->SetTimeouts(0, 100) (see cRecorder::cRecorder()) instead,
> > but if I do so, the recording buffers run full even faster.
> > It almost looks as if something is wrong with the way cRingBuffer::WaitForPut()
> > and cRingBuffer::WaitForGet() are implemented...
> >
> > Maybe some of you can take a look at this patch and try it out.
>
> I tried the patch on the WLAN client and it seems to be that it doesn't
> work so good. With the previous patch it seemd to be more stable with a
> recording.
>
> Emil

Are you getting any particular errors, like buffer overflows?
I did receive a patch from Sascha Volkenandt for the timeout
handling and will try to bring up an improved patch later this
week.

Here on my system this version works more reliably than the
original VDR 1.3.12, and also better than my previous patch.

Maybe I'm actually expecting a little too much regarding the
disk performance (WRT your other posting re file systems), but
then again it's probably not too bad to optimize the buffer
handling on a "slow" system - the bottlenecks probably don't
turn up on really fast systems.

Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index