[vdr] Re: Epia M2 + Budget-card installation

Hi,

On 29.09.2004 11:06, Nicolas Huillard wrote:
* softmpeg doesn't use the hardware MPEG2 decoder of the board (cle266). The author says "it works good enough" for him.
* Colin Patton wrote a patch to softmpeg a while ago (around april/may 2004) that make use of the hardware MPEG2 decoder, but I didn't manage to compile it cleanly (check the softmpeg ML for info)
I didn't find the time to integrate Colin's code, yes.

* softmpeg has stability problems (read : bad crashes), depending on the channels you try to watch.
Correct. The demux uses static buffers. With bad reception, sometimes the buffers overflow and crash the machine. I've re-used the code in another project and fixed the problems, but I didn't have the time to put it back into libsoftmpeg.

* I switched to softdevice because Stefan Lucke seems to be more invested in his project than Michael Hunold is, and I have absolutely no skill to debug the code (I tried, though).
Unfortunately, I currently don't have the time and means to work on libsoftmpeg anymore. I don't know if it will happen in the future again, because of employment and personal difficulties.

My main focus is still on the kernel integration of the Linux DVB V3 API and the development of the upcoming V4 API. That already sucks a big amount of time.

It's really sad, because there should really be a LGPL libavcodec based software-mpeg decoder with DirectFB out there, because it's the thing you want to have on an EPIA board with a budget DVB card. 8-(

I'm sorry that the project has fallen into oblivion, especially because the basis is already there and could be extended. But I guess this sometimes happens to projects.

CU
Michael.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index